Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Now that your toddler is reaching the age where they are talking and recognizing things, you will notice them absorbing everything around them. This is a great time to start teaching your little guy things like their numbers and colors, shapes, animals and more. Here is an easy process I used to help my daughter lean her colors in a fun way.
Teaching my toddler colors


I started with two colors, yellow and blue. I compiled many things in the house like her toys and other things that were both yellow and blue. With the two piles of things we sat on the floor and started going through them. I pointed at the color of all of the yellow things and said "yellow, this is a yellow duck," or "banana, this banana is yellow" and so forth. After that I also did this with the blue things. After a few moments you know toddlers, she was tired with the activity so we went on about our day. When she got up again I went back through the things and pointed out all of the yellow things and all of the blue again.

Later in the evening I would continue to point things out to her telling them that they were the color yellow or the color blue. After about two days of incorporating it into our routine, she would point at both yellow and blue things and say the color. After a few days I added red in there, and then other colors. It became a game and she learned her colors fast this way. It only took her a day or two for each color and she had the hang of it. Like most memorizing and recognition patterns, repetition is key.

I pointed out colors everywhere, at the grocery store, park, toys, everything. It is easy for them to associate colors with things so make sure that you are saying "green grass" or "yellow star" , I was told that this helps them recognize and associate faster and easier. Go through their bath toys, tell them what colors their clothes are other people's clothes, just keep going and going!

After introducing them with daily things they can see touch and feel, let them go through books on their own. I used to always love watching my daughter flip through a book at tell herself the colors. Or get a DVD that is all about colors to help assist you. There are tons of them available.

Be patient, some colors are harder to associate with because of their many different shades and resemblance to other colors, but remember right now their brain is like a sponge and the more you spill out, the more they are going to soak up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment